Today we’ve made the Priiv app for iOS publicly available for the first time. It is the result of almost three years of hard work, and we think it’s an important tool that will help a lot of people regain control over their personal and data privacy. You can download it from the Apple iOS App Store (U.S. and Canada only, for now.)
We’ve built Priiv based on the belief that privacy is important, that privacy is a right, and that privacy is possible.
But we also built it because privacy is under attack. Nearly every device, app, service, company, and government has made it their mission to gather as much data about you as possible. The technical infrastructure of our world collects our data, and data about us, at a terrifying rate. That data is then processed, aggregated, and combined to extract meta-data, add nuance, and make inferences. The results are used to improve our world and or lives, but also substantially to target, manipulate, and materially harm us. And all kinds of ‘bad guys’, whether scammers, hackers, or harassers, leverage this data or gather than own to pursue entirely unwelcome activities.
A New Way to Protect Yourself
Much of the data collected about us and from us is done without our permission and outside the bounds of our control. But a massive amount is done entirely with our permission and in ways that we can prevent at will. Priiv focuses on making it easy for anyone to do the three things that will materially improve your privacy immediately and for the long run:
- Change settings to opt-out of excessive and unnecessary data sharing.
- Modify behaviors that unintentionally expose your data and put you at risk.
- Add simple and available tools that can protect your privacy and security.
Priiv is the first app to take a comprehensive approach to the problem of privacy theft, giving anyone the opportunity to methodically protect themselves and prevent a broad range of risks and harms. We’re unique in not only naming the harms and risks stemming from the loss of privacy (personal, commercial, financial, physical, and political) but also in measuring progress at reducing their risks.
Measurement is one of the huge innovations in Priiv. We’ve created a privacy score (we call it PriivScore) that gives users important context, so they can understand where they stand in terms of protecting themselves, and the goal they want to achieve. Users get an initial PriivScore and target immediately upon installing the app, and then watch their score rise as they take actions that enhance protections and eliminate risks.
A Personalized Approach
Priiv also adjusts to the fact that not everyone has the same privacy needs or goals. While most of the app is customized for each user, we’ve broadly defined and guide users across three tiers of privacy (Basic, Strong, and Maximum) that help ensure everyone gets recommendations, technology, and expectations that are in line with their situation and abilities.
Privacy Path and Beyond
The Priiv app gives users three different ways to work on improving their own privacy and security.
- Follow Your Privacy Path. The first and most prominent is the Privacy Path, a personalized and prioritized way to move through your digital life and secure every aspect of it. On the Privacy Path users enhance the privacy of their mobile phone, computer, social media accounts, iOT devices, passwords, browsers, cars, homes, offices, and more.
- Focus on Individual Products. The second option is to choose specific products and brands and lock them down. Over a dozen specific brands like Facebook, Dropbox, Spotify, Amazon, Zoom, Alexa and more are in the initial release, and more will be released regularly.
- Focus on Chosen Topics. The third option is to select topics like Online Dating or Public Wifi or Travel and ensure that you’re doing everything possible to avoid leaks and risk in that area. The app will feature new and rotating topics over time, including seasonal (like ‘Back to School’) and topical issues as world and news events dictate.
It was also clear to us from the beginning that there is no single solution to the problem of privacy. Protecting yourself requires a range of tools, so Priiv identifies and recommends a host of important solutions from Password Managers to Tracker Blockers to VPNs to Encrypted Messaging tools and about a dozen more. The app helps people to find and choose the right tool for them, supports their use and offers tips and recommendations to get the most out of the most popular (and or favorite) tools. Choosing and using the right tools also contributes significantly to attaining a high PriivScore, since these apps and services add protection and reduce risk.
The Team Behind Priiv
Priiv is a product of The Privacy Co. which was co-founded in 2019 by Craig Danuloff and Jordan Arnold, in partnership with K2 Intelligence Inc.
- Craig Danuloff is a serial entrepreneur who previously founded early ecommerce platform company iCat Corporation, early ad-tech company ClickEquations, and early personal data management company Rewind.Me.
- Jordan Arnold, a former Manhattan prosecutor, is Chief Innovation Officer at K2 Intelligence, Inc. and also serves as Global Chair of its Private Client Services practice which provides privacy services to ultra and high net worth families and clients in the entertainment, music, and sports industries.
- K2 Intelligence is an industry-leading investigative, compliance, and cyber defense services firm founded in 2009. K2 has provided equity funding, strategic advice, and technical support and services to the company. K2 helps its clients to address problems and complex situations, and manage risk. They advise governments, companies, and family offices in Disputes, Regulatory Compliance, Cyber Defense, Strategic Risk and Security, and Private Client Services, which includes privacy and security consulting for high profile and high net worth individuals.